Sunday, January 23, 2011

The Trend in Education Layoffs Is Becoming Ridiculous

It's mind boggling how one of the most vital and critical professions in our nation is the first to be cut as far as layoffs, budgets and programs. I start to question our nations priorities. I can't fault others who are in different fields and are lucky to keep their jobs...more power to them, but the fact that teachers are getting laid off left and right is outright ridiculous.

I was one of those teachers last year. Yearning to continue to work, but knowing my dream as an elementary school teacher would soon come to an end. My passion has always been to educate and help young children learn the skills and tools in order to be success in their future endeavors.  Unfortunately, dealing with the politics and betrayal of our educational system, I was forced to look elsewhere-to touch the lives of our youth.

Regardless of the trials and tribulations that I had to endure, I have to say that I am happy with the outcome and I've had the opportunity to touch the lives of young children on a larger scale.

As for our future teachers, I would say hang in there. Your good deed will not be forgotten and will always be greatly appreciated. Regardless of how anyone looks at it, no one would be in the position they are today if it wasn't for "teachers". Period! Why "we" get the short end of the stick is still unknown, but I can say that every journey is worth going through if you learn something from it, so embrace it. You never know what God has in store for you...the road is endless.

Questions and Answers

Should physical education be cut in schools?
What about the arts (music/dance/theater/)?
How about science/technology?
Do you think parents will look away from public education, with a rise in private school enrollment?

Some of this is already happening...

No comments:

Post a Comment